Thanks to the Australian legislation to make same-sex marriage a legitimate affair. This true liberalization on the exchange of love came into the process since 9th December 2017, through the Marriage Amendment Act 2017. It has also received royal acceptance on the same day from the governor-general. The antiquity of the same-sex wedding has suffered a great vetoing by the Howard government in the year 2004. But thanks to the legislation, for making the gay wedding a legal affair after a long fight, it has been finally approved in the year 2017.
Of course, bygone days have also witnessed some strong same-sex affair but, we can see a distinctive focus in the present time. More liberalization also making the liberal hearts speak their liberal minds. The whistleblowers were up with their support and it all happened with all grace. Today we can see many same-sex couples have discovered their comfortability in the prevailing society and accepting their friendship amongst all. Though we cannot deny the fact of being differently engaged. There are still lots of challenges that a gay couple face getting their union done right with praise.
Within this infinite emotional pool, one should understand and value the emotions of others. Well, the world is changing, but still, some part of society is against the idea of a same-sex wedding, especially when it comes to parents and other relatives. While planning a gay wedding, it could be very challenging to make sure everything falls at a place with no sentiment hurt. This is a serious matter and one should not compromise with the time required to plan a same-sex wedding and you can enjoy altogether a different type of wedding. There are many examples of same-sex marriages that have shown to this world, that feelings do not come with a sex card, it just comes for a person and they could be anyone same-sex or opposite sex and it is as normal as an opposite-sex alliance.
There are some expectations always, from our loved ones, in case of a wedding. But for a same-sex wedding, things might not seem so simple. You might have sleepless nights but believe! Trust your feelings and don’t let any kind of noise hinder your peace. Getting married to the person of same-sex could not be your family’s decision initially, but those who love you will always support you sooner or later. Remember it’s your life and you will celebrate your love at this wedding.
Let me tell you, a different kind of wedding needs a different type of attention. For the same, you need to understand what is different in a gay wedding. Even though the favours are coming from all corners, there are some serious questions to ask for and some serious conclusions to search for.
- There is a universal mindset for weddings. There is a bride and the other one is the groom. When it doesn’t go like how it should be, it might create some mood spoil shows. You need to accept first who you are and what you ever wanted. Understand yourself and be confident about what you do.
- Ask yourself; are you ready to face the world? This is some serious concern. Every out of the box decision comes with some different challenges. It is quite not normal but you should be happy, you are turning faces with your unique choices.
- You are breaking some traditions, the couples should be aware of it. The world might not offer you love initially, but there is always something better in being different.
Don’t worry! Today in this blog we have decided on an ultimate checklist, to prepare a gay wedding. We understand everything and this is what makes our relationship special.
Table of Contents
It is okay if it is same-sex but the choices of an individual might differ. Here to make the wedding preparation gets started, it is prominent for the couple to learn each other’s choice and pour their hint of choices in the preparation. After all, it’s something that the couple waited for a long time.
Everything depends on the budget; you need to check your pockets first to get started with your preparations. You should be well aware of the funds that you will require and your priority areas should be focused first. The couples should be mature enough to know, how well a wedding could be done with effective and efficient budget planning.
Say Yes, To The Click Time
You know, what results you want from your actions and they are known as moments when you really enjoy each other in the process. Capture those moments, which you would love to enjoy in the future. Being same-sex couples, the answers to your questions won’t be that obvious. When you think about a photo shoot, you need to pay attention to the poses that display the originality of your affair and affection. It would be completely your choice to decide the type of photoshoot. You can go rustic to romantic it’s your choice just be little prepared for the type of poses you are going to give.
If you are thinking about a destination wedding in some alien country, you need to study about their law, because there are many countries that are still against same-sex marriages and maybe you need some extra paperwork for the same. And if you are planning to get married in your own country, you still need to make sure to inform your venue owner about same-sex marriage.
What’s With Your Guest List
Not everybody would conform to your idea of getting married to a same-sex partner. You might not get accepted by your family or friends. This is one of the biggest challenges you would face about whom to call and whom to not. You need to check out your guest list before you think about food or other stuff.
Well, deciding on what to wear is a very personal choice. It’s your wedding and you can get yourself dressed up as you want. You need to keep in mind, the absence of the opposite sex by your side. You can go in sync with each other or can have that difference celebrated in swag.
What is the most important thing in a relationship? I call it honesty. Wedding vows are very special and if they are created by you that becomes more special. You might not like to take your partner as your lawful wedded wife or husband. But you can definitely decide one for yourself and exchange every feeling away from the standards made.
Whenever and whatever, it is most appreciated if you keep the things transparent to your service providers. You should take care of the information that you transfer to your service providers. Venue decoration for the hetero couples is way different than what they will plan for gay couples. It is also important to tell them about the gay wedding because many of the agencies might mind taking up gay wedding projects.
You must have heard about the ring ceremony, gifting rings to each other and promising a bond that has got an ever ending validity. But it doesn’t sound much obvious when it comes to a gay wedding, you might feel awkward exchanging rings like a stereotype bride and groom. I would rather suggest going very candid. Gift something that your partner always strived for. This would make your ceremony more everlasting and mesmerizing.
Think Smart Music
Accept and be exclusive is what we have got to say. Music in itself is a big challenge that a gay couple might face. But dancing on peppy numbers is one favorite choice of every couple during their wedding. For a same-sex wedding, one needs to be very smart in choosing songs, you cannot go random. Random songs might kill your mood or might make the whole place go awkward.
Bridesmaid and Groomsman
Follow everything, every ritual and why not? You are doing something different but real. Think about bridesmaid and groomsman. Be the partners for life not restricted to what category you belong to.
Wedding Day Rituals
The wedding day rituals script might not go the same as other straight couples, you might need to flip the script and rethink the same. Here are a few challenges that you need to cut through:
- The common scene of a bride holding her father’s hand and walking down the aisle is not something that would fit in your case. Your choice, don’t mind the pressure game, either walk down the aisle together or decide who would walk with whom for whom.
- The important ingredient of any wedding rituals is readings and proceedings. The common is no more common to you; the standard readings might not be suitable for your relationship. No worries customize your own wedding with what your heart wants to speak, rather than expressing something that doesn’t speak your heart and emotions.
Bachelor or Bachelorette Party
Engagement to be followed up with a bachelor/ bachelorette party, the idea itself enchants everyone’s ears with fun and great pleasure. This is a must as soon as you get engaged. You might be wondering as to how to throw this party, you might be sharing common friends too. Go party together, be the boss of the night and live your single days to the best.
Something that is good about weddings is, in spite of being so stressful and confusing, the feeling of getting hitched to your darling is at another level. Among the chaos you find peace. But it is more stressful if you are a gay couple. The thought of getting discriminated against, bullied might result in making your wedding feel lose its grace. There are challenges that are of another level if you are a gay couple.
Firstly it might be difficult for you to express it and letting your people know about this. We would suggest having an open talk about your situation, take time and don’t react.
Secondly, if you are engaged, you should be prepared for encountering rejections. Not all wedding planners support this kind of wedding. Be confident and look for the vendors that treat the couple as a couple and not by their sex. Be open about yourself from the very beginning, transparency will be celebrated. You should not always have wrong feelings about vendors, there might be some vendors who would like to take up the same-sex wedding as an experience and enjoyment, whereas some vendors might be very professional and don’t mind about same-sex wedding. Positivity is a must.
Do you know what’s best about having a same-sex wedding? Well, everything. You can have a personalized wedding, with all the rituals customized by you. You can actually go offbeat and do not follow the standard rituals and traditions. You can make your day special and enjoy it like you ever wanted. You can have everything designed and owned by you. The basic idea is to throw away every tension out of the window and making the day exactly as you want to.
Just remember, if getting together was your personal choice, then making the day special with your personal traditions are not to be bothered about. A wedding is all about celebrating your love and happiness of getting your querida in your life for the rest of your life. What matters is how special you feel with your beloved. Whether you plan a grand wedding affair or a small private get together, it is completely your choice but what matters is your bonding with your partner and your promise that you do with all your heart for the rest of your life. React to happiness, it’s your wedding and nobody could take that freedom of choosing your partner from you.
Shantanu works as an inbound content marketer at GayCelebrant.Melbourne & has helped develop it to cater to the LGBTIQ Wedding industry since 2018. He has closely worked with Bronte Price to learn the traits of the Australian wedding industry and loves to share his acute observations through blogging, weaving them into a brand story. He also loves to cook, trek, travel, dance and claims to have found his “why” in helping small business owners bloom into established brands.
Summary: The Ultimate Checklist on How to Prepare a Gay Wedding
- Discuss and establish the vision and theme for your gay wedding with your partner.
- Create a budget that reflects your priorities and allocate funds to different aspects of the wedding.
- Research and select a wedding planner or coordinator who is experienced in planning gay weddings.
- Compile a guest list that includes your closest friends, family, and loved ones.
- Choose a suitable wedding venue that aligns with your vision, accommodating both the ceremony and reception.
- Select LGBTQ+-friendly vendors, including caterers, florists, photographers, and entertainers, who are supportive and inclusive.
- Customize your wedding ceremony to reflect your unique love story and incorporate elements that are meaningful to you.
- Design invitations that reflect your personal style and use inclusive language to celebrate your love and partnership.
- Plan a wedding party attire that suits your style and allows you and your partner to express your individuality.
- Coordinate with your wedding party for their attire, ensuring they feel comfortable and confident.
- Curate a diverse and inclusive playlist that celebrates different genres and appeals to all your guests.
- Consider incorporating LGBTQ+ symbols and colors into your wedding décor and signage.
- Plan a diverse and inclusive menu that caters to various dietary preferences and restrictions.
- Organize transportation for your guests to ensure convenience and safety.
- Arrange for accommodations for out-of-town guests, considering LGBTQ+-friendly hotels or vacation rentals.
- Plan a wedding rehearsal to ensure smooth execution on the day of the wedding.
- Obtain the necessary legal documents and licenses required for a legal gay wedding.
- Plan a post-wedding celebration, such as a brunch or after-party, to continue the festivities.
- Ensure that your wedding reflects your personalities and values, creating a memorable and authentic celebration of your love.
FAQ – Preparing a Gay Wedding
In a homosexual wedding, what do you call a bridesmaid?
It’s possible that they’ll be your “bridesmen” or “men-of-honor.” Grooms may appoint “groomswomen,” “groomsmaids,” or “best women” in the same way. Alternatively, use a phrase that is totally gender-neutral, such as “attendants” or “party people.”
Are there wedding showers for homosexual couples?
These events are usually available to people of all genders! Wedding showers aren’t only for the brides; they’re also for homosexual males. Showers are a collaborative effort involving both parties.
How do you refer to two brides?
You can play the roles of two brides or two grooms. There are alternative possibilities if you don’t like the sound of bride or groom. You can be referred to as partners, soon-to-be spouses, life companions, or just by your names!
What do gay grooms wear to their wedding?
Suits or tuxedos that are identical save for the waistcoats, which are different colours. Dark grey and light grey suits are both in the same colour family. The suit is the same, but the shirts and ties are different colours. Matching ties on different outfits.