When two people get married, they commit to each other for the rest of their lives. This is a huge decision; it is essential to do everything you can to ensure your marriage is strong and lasts forever. If you want your marriage to last, you must put in the effort before and after the wedding. In this blog post, we will discuss ways you can strengthen the foundation of your marriage!
Table of Contents
Discuss Your Expectations For The Marriage
If you’re not on the same page about what you want out of marriage, it will be challenging to move forward together. Therefore, discussing your expectations for the wedding is essential before tying the knot. This way, you can avoid any surprises down the road.
Some things that you may want to talk about include:
- How you envision your life together
- What your roles will be within the marriage
- Your plans for starting a family
- Your thoughts on monogamy
It’s also important to be open and honest about your expectations. If certain things are non-negotiable for you, communicate that upfront. By having these discussions before getting married, you can help to strengthen the foundation of your marriage.
If you don’t know where to start with these open conversations, here are some tips:
Try sitting down with your partner and brainstorming a list of topics you want to discuss. Once you have a list, share your thoughts on each case.
If there are disagreements, try to work together to find a compromise. Remember, it’s essential to be open and honest throughout this process. By communicating openly, you can help to build a strong foundation for your marriage.
Marriage is built on communication, so make sure you and your partner are continuously discussing your expectations for the wedding.
Agree On Financial Goals And Budgeting Methods
If you want to start your marriage on the right foot, you and your spouse-to-be must be on the same page regarding your finances. So sit down and talk about your financial goals for the short-term and long-term. It’s also essential to agree on how you will manage your money as a couple.
Some questions to consider include:
- Start a family?
- Save for retirement?
- Will one of you be in charge of the bills?
- Will you have joint bank accounts or separate accounts?
- How much money will each of you contribute to savings each month?
Once you know your goals, you can start creating a budget to help you achieve them. Again, agreeing on these things before you get married can avoid arguments about money down the road.
If you’re not used to budgeting or don’t know where to start, plenty of resources are available to help you out. You can find helpful tips and advice online or in books and magazines.
Some financial counsellors can help you develop a budget that works for your unique situation. Talk to your parents or other couples you know who have strong marriages to see their advice about finances and marriage.
By taking the time to prepare financially for your marriage, you’ll be setting yourself up for success.
Be Physically And Emotionally Intimate With Each Other
Being physically and emotionally intimate with each other is essential even before the wedding. This will help to strengthen the foundation of your marriage. You can do this by spending time together, talking, and being affectionate with each other.
Physical intimacy does not necessarily mean sexual intercourse; it can also include hugging, kissing, and holding hands. Emotional intimacy can be developed by sharing your thoughts and feelings, listening to each other, and supporting each other through thick and thin.
Spend Time Together As A Couple
If you want to strengthen the foundation of your marriage, spend time together as a couple. Talk about your hopes and dreams for the future, discuss what you love about each other, and set some goals for your marriage.
Setting aside time from your hectic schedules to go on dates and enjoy each other’s company is also essential. You may not be able to do this every day, but try to make time for each other at least once a week. This will help you keep the spark alive in your relationship and strengthen the foundation of your marriage.
Seek Out Help If You’re Struggling In Your Marriage
It’s okay to admit that you need help in your marriage. It’s a sign of strength. If you’re feeling like you’re struggling in your marriage, or if you’re not sure how to make things work, seek out help.
Don’t be afraid to ask for help from those who know more than you do. It could be the best thing you ever do for your marriage.
To seek out help, you can:
- Research different types of therapy that could help your marriage
- Talk to your friends or family about their experiences with therapy
- Find a couples counsellor in your area
- Go to therapy with your spouse
Seeking out help is the first step to improving communication and intimacy in your marriage. It can be challenging to open up about what’s not working in your relationship, but it’s worth seeking relationship advice to get the help you need. You deserve a happy and healthy marriage, so don’t be afraid to ask for help.
Seek resources and support to build a strong foundation for your future together. You can make your marriage everything you’ve ever wanted it to be with effort and commitment.
Following these tips can help set your marriage up for success before you even say “I do.” Marriage is a challenging but rewarding journey, and by strengthening the foundation of your relationship before you walk down the aisle, you’ll be better prepared to face any obstacles that come your way. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
Summary: Strengthening the Foundation of Your Marriage
- Discuss your expectations for the marriage, including life goals, roles, starting a family, and views on monogamy.
- Be open and honest about your expectations, communicate non-negotiables, and brainstorm topics together.
- Agree on financial goals and budgeting methods, such as buying a house, starting a family, retirement plans, bill management, and joint/separate bank accounts.
- Utilize resources like online tips, financial counsellors, and advice from couples with solid marriages to develop a budget that works for you.
- Foster physical and emotional intimacy through spending time together, showing affection, sharing thoughts and feelings, and supporting each other.
- Make time for couple activities, discuss future aspirations, express appreciation for each other, and go on dates to keep the spark alive.
- Seek help if struggling in your marriage by researching therapy options, talking to friends/family, finding couples counsellors, or attending therapy together.
- Recognize the importance of seeking support, improving communication, and maintaining a healthy relationship.
- The top factors for a successful marriage are intimacy, commitment, and communication, while a solid union is characterized by love, trust, time, attention, good communication, and mutual respect.
- Maintain your marriage by setting and upholding healthy boundaries that establish trust, respect, intimacy, and open communication.
FAQ – Newlyweds
What are the top three factors in a successful marriage?
The top 3 things that define a successful marriage are intimacy, commitment, and communication.
What attributes characterize a solid union in a couple?
A happy marriage or relationship can be attributed to a variety of factors, including love, commitment, trust, time, attention, and good communication that includes listening, partnership, tolerance, patience, openness, honesty, and respect, as well as sharing, consideration, generosity, and the willingness or ability to make compromises.
What maintains a marriage?
Setting and upholding appropriate boundaries is a crucial component of what keeps relationships strong. Healthy boundaries help you and your spouse establish trust, respect, intimacy, and open lines of communication in your relationship.