- The complete month-by-month wedding planning timeline
- The comprehensive guide to understanding body types and how it relates to wedding dress selection
- Demystifying wedding dress silhouettes—All you wanted to know about different wedding dress styles
- The definitive guide to bridesmaid dress shopping
- Best Wedding Hairstylists in Toronto and GTA 2020
- Best Wedding Photographers in Toronto and GTA 2020
- Best for Bride on Rogers Daytime Toronto – Vintage Wedding Dresses
- Be Selective With Your Wedding Dress
- How To Find The Best Bridal Look For Your Zodiac Sign
Why are wedding gowns expensive?
Your wedding dress is one of the most expensive dresses that you will ever shop for in your lifetime. The Wall Street Journal estimates that most brides spend at least $1500 on their wedding dress.
So, what is it that makes wedding dresses so pricey? And, what can you do to reduce the price, when you go shopping for your wedding dress? Let us find out.
Cost of material
Wedding dresses usually involve many more yards of fabric than any other gown. Also, the materials that are used in wedding dress designs belong to the higher end of the price spectrum. Silk is a common choice, with the price falling anywhere between $15 and $35. Layers of lace raise the price level significantly. Although less expensive material may be used in the interior layers of these gowns, the bulk of fabric still adds up to the cost. For dresses that come in bigger sizes, it is only logical to assume that they use up more fabric, and are priced accordingly.
Wedding dresses are not machine-made garments. There is a reason these dresses look spectacular. Many details on the dress are done by hand and this translates to increased labor cost. It is impossible for a machine to churn out fine details at the right places and create the same impact as it is when done by hand. The more embellishments a gown has, and finer the detailing, higher is the overall cost of the dress.
Alterations and fittings
A wedding dress that you pick off-the-rack will most likely not fit you perfectly. So, you will have to use the services of a professional seamstress to alter it. Some shops offer a bulk discount on alteration charges, while others charge you for each change. If you want to customize your wedding dress by adding sleeves, changing the actual design or adding extras, you will have to spend more. The best way to save on alteration charges is to buy a dress that is closest to your actual measurements.
Fortunately, it is possible to find the perfect wedding dress if you take care of a few factors. Here is what you should consider when choosing your wedding dress, so it doesn’t go over budget
- Choose a dress that is relatively simple. Keep the embellishments minimum and you will not have to spend extra on it.
- If there is a dress that you like but is very expensive, ask your bridal consultant to help you find one that looks similar, but isn’t so costly. It is possible that you will find a similar design in a different fabric that isn’t as expensive, and find it just as attractive.
- If you start your search early, you may be able to buy your wedding dress on sale. Or you can look for a second hand dress you love, for a fraction of the original cost. You could also take a look at stores that rent wedding dresses. After all, you will be wearing this dress just once, so why not rent it?
At Best for Bride, we have wedding dresses in all price ranges and also offer dresses on rent. Call us to book your appointment today, to find the dress that will translate you into the most beautiful bride ever.