- The complete month-by-month wedding planning timeline
- The comprehensive guide to understanding body types and how it relates to wedding dress selection
- Demystifying wedding dress silhouettes—All you wanted to know about different wedding dress styles
- The definitive guide to bridesmaid dress shopping
- Best Wedding Hairstylists in Toronto and GTA 2020
- Best Wedding Photographers in Toronto and GTA 2020
- Best for Bride on Rogers Daytime Toronto – Vintage Wedding Dresses
- Be Selective With Your Wedding Dress
- How To Find The Best Bridal Look For Your Zodiac Sign
How to find the right prom dress for your body shape
One of the biggest social events in a girl’s lifetime, and perhaps the first one where she dresses up like a star, is Prom. When choosing her first really important formal dress, it is necessary to find one that accentuates her best features and helps her feel confident.
Prom dresses are available in a variety of styles and designs, with enough patterns to flatter all body types. But, how do you know which of these designs would be the best for you? Let us find out.
Understand your body shape
No matter how great a dress looks, it may not be the right one for you if the silhouette doesn’t flatter your figure. Rather than go by the look of a dress, you should choose one that drapes beautifully on you. To find one that does, you should first recognize your body shape. Here is a brief description of the various body types there are, which will help you find your body type.
- Hourglass – Naturally curvy with well-proportioned upper and lower halves
- Athletic – Slender and almost rectangular structure with well-toned shoulders, lean torso and few curves
- Apple – Upper body is wider than the lower part
- Pear – The proportions of the lower body are more prominent than the bust area
- Petite – Shorter than average height, they have a slender waist with proportionate upper and lower halves ; they are very feminine
Patterns suitable for different body shapes
Once you identify what your body shape is from the above list, all you have to do is find a dress in one of the silhouettes that flatters your figure.
If you have an hourglass structure, you are lucky as you can easily carry off almost any style. Play up your curves with figure-hugging A-line gowns, luxurious ball gown skirts or choose softly flowing sheath style gowns for a more delicate and feminine look. Experiment with off-the-shoulder necklines, multi-way dresses or sweetheart necklines to find one that gives you a glamorous touch.
Athletic girls should opt for dresses that add the illusion of curves, and can thus accentuate their femininity. Dresses with a defined waist, or those that have ruffles or pleats would look good on you. A classic ball gown skirt would break up your torso, and make you appear more curvy. Try a scoop or soft V-neckline to add definition to your bust.
If you are apple or pear-shaped, ball gowns are an ideal choice to balance out the proportions of both halves of your body. If you are heavier on the top, try a sheer neckline or high V-neckline to de-emphasize your bust. Pear-shaped girls can opt for a sweetheart or strapless bodice to emphasize their upper body.
Petite girls should avoid long-flowing dresses and too many layers, that can drown them in details. If you are petite, show off your slender waist in an A-line skirt, or choose a design that highlights your natural curves. Keep the skirt length short or asymmetrical, and you will look stylish and taller than you actually are.
At Best for Bride, we have the perfect collection of prom dresses for all body types. Visit us today to make your pick for the big event in your life.