- The complete month-by-month wedding planning timeline
- The comprehensive guide to understanding body types and how it relates to wedding dress selection
- Demystifying wedding dress silhouettes—All you wanted to know about different wedding dress styles
- The definitive guide to bridesmaid dress shopping
- Best Wedding Hairstylists in Toronto and GTA 2020
- Best Wedding Photographers in Toronto and GTA 2020
- Best for Bride on Rogers Daytime Toronto – Vintage Wedding Dresses
- Be Selective With Your Wedding Dress
- How To Find The Best Bridal Look For Your Zodiac Sign
Wedding dress tips for brides in their forties
It isn’t unusual to find brides who wait till they are in their forties to tie the knot. Our opinion is that forty is the new twenty, and many women look their best at this age. So, if you are a bride in your 40’s, plan your wedding just like you would when you were in your twenties or thirties.
This article is dedicated to those of you beautiful women who are worried about the appropriate wedding attire when you plan your wedding when you are in your forties. So, here goes.
Go with your figure and personal style, instead of your age
If anything should determine the style of your wedding dress, it has to be your body shape. Follow the general guidelines of finding a silhouette that will bring out your best features while hiding the less attractive features. Here is an easy guide:
- Hourglass shapes can carry off almost any dress
- Apple and pear shaped women would look good in ball gowns
- A-line dresses look good on almost every structure
- Fit and flare gowns look best on hourglass figures
- If you are petite, choose dresses that emphasize your upper body and make you look taller
- If you are plus-sized, avoid sheath and empire-waist gowns
Choose a color that you like for your wedding gown
This article on The Guardian suggests that brides in their 40’s usually do not prefer white wedding gowns and equate typical wedding gowns to elaborate costumes. If this is the case for you, don’t feel obliged to wear white. Instead, choose an elegant gown in a color that complements your skin tone. Your wedding is all about you. So, whether you prefer a colored wedding dress or an elaborately embellished one, go with what you like.
Don’t worry about rules and how to fit in
There are no rights and wrongs in wedding fashion, or rules that say you have to go with a classic choice if you are in your forties. What looks good on one woman may not be the right choice for another. So, go with your instinct. If you are a bride who looks twenty, don’t hesitate to wear a dress that is designed for a twenty-year old. If your choices are mature and you prefer simple elegant dresses, go for it.
Pay attention to alterations
Don’t just settle for what you find off-the-rack. Set aside a part of your dress budget to alter your dress well. Wearing a well-fitted dress will itself make you look and feel fabulous. So, engage the services of a professional seamstress and make sure your dress fits you. If you aren’t comfortable with low cut necklines or strapless wedding gowns, remember that you can always customize a dress that you like. Just keep an open mind and let your bridal consultant help you find one that will make you a beautiful bride on your big day.
To find the wedding dress that can do this task, visit us on Best for Bride and make your pick today.