Once you choose your wedding dress, you are only half-done with dressing up for your wedding day. You still have to choose your hairstyle, makeup and most importantly, the accessories to bring together your overall look.
Just like there are thousands of options in wedding dresses, there are plenty of choices in wedding jewelry too. Finding the right balance in size, structure and impact created by the chosen accessories, is important to fashioning your overall wedding day look. Neither should you go overboard with accessories that it competes with your wedding dress, nor should it be too simple that it doesn’t help you to stand out as a bride.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when choosing your wedding day jewelry.
- Buy your wedding dress first: We always recommend buying your wedding dress first and then choosing matching accessories, as it is easier to do things in this order. The only exception is if you will be wearing heirloom jewelry or have already spent a fortune on jewelry that will be the signature element in creating your look.
- Find the right balance: If your wedding dress is simple, choose statement jewelry that enhances your overall look. On the other hand, if you have chosen a richly embellished wedding dress with plenty of detail, opt for simple jewelry so your overall look isn’t cluttered.
- Choose jewelry that suits your features: Always try on jewelry before you buy it, so you can make sure that it complements your facial features. Certain styles look better than others on different face shapes. So, make sure that the accessories you choose highlights your most attractive features.
Now you know what you should be looking for, when choosing your wedding jewelry.
With more and more brides preferring themed weddings, it is necessary to find jewelry that will contribute to the style they sport on their wedding day. Let us take a look at some inspiring wedding jewelry ideas for the most popular wedding themes we find these days.
This style is non-traditional, bold and vibrant. It is colorful, wild and has an unconventional edge that is both endearing and unusual, and is significantly different from anything traditional. When you are a Boho bride, your wedding dress will usually be dramatic enough. It isn’t necessary to find matching accessories for your wedding dress, as this style allows you to mix and play with entirely different styles to create your own signature look. Here are some ideas.
- Instantly add style to your look with a unique headpiece that screams out your style statement. Feathers, flower crowns, oversize beaded head pieces and colorful headbands are all suitable for this style.
- A colorful necklace with a lot of texture, like fabric strips, beads and stones, is a must-have. This will not only add color, it will also be a unique piece.
- Prints and patterns appeal to Boho brides immensely, and there are many ways to add these to your ensemble. Consider wearing a earrings with colorful prints to instantly add a pop of color to your face.
- Unexpected pieces of jewelry like toe rings, anklets or other foot jewelry are an amazing way to make a statement, especially if your wedding dress just skims your ankles and exposes your dainty feet.
The name says it all—the classic bride prefers timeless trends that never go out of fashion. There is a refined sophistication to this style, and these brides usually have an affinity for pearls and diamonds in simple but stunning designs. Classic wedding dresses feature traditional silhouettes like ball gowns or A-line dresses, with or without sleeves. The makeup is usually quite simple, and the hair is done in simple styles like chignons, buns or simply let down. Here are the jewelry choices that complement this style.
- The choice of necklace depends on the neckline of the gown. If the dress features an embellished or high neckline, the necklace can be eliminated. If not, these brides usually prefer a string of pearls or a simple necklace with a stone studded pendant. If the bride opts for color, this can be achieved with gemstones like emeralds, rubies or sapphires.
- While some brides choose large studs and dangling earrings decorated with pearls or stones, others prefer to keep it simple with a single stone stud. Basically, aim to strike the right balance between the earring size and necklace. If the necklace is elaborate, it is best to avoid earrings or stick to simpler ones.
- Hair accessories like little brooches, scintillating classy headbands or pretty beaded headpieces can be used to dress up your hair in a sophisticated way, especially if you aren’t using much jewelry in the rest of your outfit.
Each vintage era has its distinct characteristics, and your jewelry should go well with the era that has inspired your wedding plans. If you are just aiming for an old-fashioned vibe, there are common elements like lace and pearls that suit almost all the styles. Let us take a look at some samples of what accessories would be suitable for a vintage style wedding dress.
- Pearls and stones are a must-have, and the more elaborate the necklace, better it will match the vintage theme. Strings of pearls, like those featured in this picture, will bring the vintage effect alive in your outfit. If you want more drama, club different sized strings of pearls to come up with your own stylish interpretation of a vintage piece. Else search through your mother or grandmother’s jewelry collection to pick out necklaces that were trendy in their days.
- Finish off your vintage hair up-do with a vivid headpiece with enough sparkle to make a statement. Whether you choose to place it around your crown, above your bun or as a string on just one side, it is bound to add that finishing touch to the perfect hairstyle.
- Add a touch of vintage glam to your face with the help of oversize shiny loops in your ear. The more jazzy they look with shiny stones, the better it will be. With a pair as magnificent as in this picture, you can even skip a necklace, as they are absolute showstoppers.
There are many brides who would have it no other way, than have their nuptials at the beach. Since these weddings are casual, fun and full of the essence of the sand and sea, their dress and accessories should reflect this tone too. While the wedding dress itself should best feature soft, lightweight, breezy fabric, the jewelry can be loud, with plenty of inspiration drawn from the frolicking waves and blue skies that characterize every beach location. Here are a few ideas.
- Start with a nautical inspired headband. Here is one with starfish and flowers as blue as the ocean. The best part is that it weaves into the hair seamlessly, so it looks like it is a part of the hairdo. Could it get any better than this?
- Pearl earrings and studs are perfect for a beach wedding, as these are associated with the ocean. However, if you want a casual look, go with colorful options like corals or shells in your jewelry, and it will look great. These dangling coral earrings are simply perfect to dress up your white attire with a little pop of color, and it is just apt for a beach wedding.
- To go with your coral earrings, get an equally attractive coral necklace. The bright pop of pinkish orange will instantly color your wedding outfit and make you look like a sea princess, all set to be wed where surf meets turf. This coral necklace has a darker tone, and is perfectly complemented by the blue turquoise beads. The silver pendant adds a vintage touch and gives it a beautiful personality.
- If there is one wedding where foot jewelry doesn’t look out of place, it has to be a beach wedding. Dress up your pretty feet with beautiful accessories, as you will be trotting through the sand and they will highlight your beautiful feet.
When we think of glamorous, the image that immediately comes to mind is plenty of glitter, sexy outfits and large signature style jewelry. When you choose a dress that has all the elements that make it captivating, you can wear just minimum jewelry to complement it. Take care to not overdo the jewelry, or you can end up looking over-the-top and cluttered. Here are some jewelry options to add a touch of glamour to your wedding day look.
- If your wedding dress has a strapless neckline, bring on the bling with a loud and bright necklace. Gold is the ideal metal to use, as it instantly adds more glamour to your look. If not, opt for sparkles with gems in your necklace. Consider big motifs and large pendants for a striking finish. If you have a color theme for your wedding, don’t hesitate to consider a necklace with colored gems for that unique touch.
- If an eye-catching necklace doesn’t appeal to you, choose big, bold earrings instead. If you wear your hair in an up do, draw focus to your face with dangling earrings. Instead, if you leave your hair down, a big stud is a better option as it will not get lost within your tresses. Remember to stick to only one statement piece of jewelry; either the earring or a necklace. If you will be wearing both, keep them small, so you don’t look like you belong in a costume parade.
- Go bold with a big headpiece if you want to look really glamorous. We think it is most effective when hair pieces are placed on the side of the crown, instead of at the center. If you really want to look glamorous, you can wear a tiara. After all, it isn’t everyday that you can dress up like a princess, and get away with it.
- Don’t forget that your fingers and arms can also revel in some extra attention. Consider adding a bright, brilliant bracelet to your ensemble, especially if your dress is strapless and you will be showing off your arms. If not a bracelet, then you should consider a big, statement ring for one of your fingers, that will pop with sparkle. Don’t forget to ask your photographer to spare some extra attention to pictures with your bouquets, and your fingers will get all the glory they deserve.
Finding the jewelry to match your outfit is a critical part of completing your bridal look. With these tips, it should be possible for you to get a start and identify what would suit your style and personality most.
Now, why don’t you tell us which of these styles best describe you!
If you are yet to go shopping for your wedding accessories, don’t forget to check out our fabulous wedding jewelry and accessories collection on this page here. From tiaras, attractive headpieces necklaces, earrings and more, we have everything that you need to dazzle and shine on your special day. We also have great offers and attractive discounts on accessories purchases, when you pick your wedding gown from Best for Bride. And, if you don’t want to buy all these items for your one-time occasion, our rental services are the perfect budget-friendly option. Why don’t you visit us today, and see how we can help you become the decked-up, pretty bride you always longed to be.
6 thoughts on “Bridal jewelry suggestions for different fashion styles”
I have never heard of BoHo before, but I really like that style. I might have to add that to my short list 🙂
Great post! I love all the different styles that you can have with a wedding dress! Elegant is always something that catches my eye, but the problem I have is being able to decide on color!
Beach style can be so colorful and I really like that contrast when wearing a white wedding dress.
Fashion has never been my strong suit. Thank you for the tips, they will give me something to think about!
Thank you for the suggestions. These are all great.
For me, I love simple and elegant. I don’t really care for necklaces, just a nice pair of earrings. 🙂